I’ve never been a particularly prolific blogger on this here little corner of the Internet. I post a couple flurries of activity, and then write something about being too busy to write, and then a couple more inspired flurries, probably about some no-name European boxing match nobody but me even watched. Basically I’ve been pretty terrible about staying on top of this.
In the last handful of weeks, while I’ve been off the radar, the sport I most focus on has been gearing up for its biggest fight in recent memory as Floyd Mayweather finally takes on Manny Pacquiao. Not just that, but boxing has been ramping up with multiple interesting matchups in the meantime: Wladimir Klitschko brought 17,000 people to Madison Square Garden last weekend, Ruslan Provodnikov and Lucas Matthysse predictably beat the shit out of each other, Julio Ceasar Chavez Jr. exposed himself as a fraud when he fought someone his own size and PBC on NBC returned with another session of ‘let’s try to make Danny Garcia a thing’.
I’ve written about way, way smaller matchups, and less relevant boxing news. Now that the sport is creating mainstream conversation–a good thing in a lot of ways, a bad thing in the sense that a lot of people who know nothing about boxing are writing a lot of ignorant garbage about boxing–I fell off the face of the map. While this is frustrating for me personally, it comes due to really exciting circumstances. I’ve taken a new job, with a major professional sports franchise, and moved cities again. Hence, I’ve had zero time to do anything but look for apartments, get settled and learn my new gig.
I hope to get the chance to write fuller, more coherent posts soon, but in the meantime, here are some random thoughts, about boxing, books, and everything else, that I’ve jotted down in the last couple of months. Random thoughts is all I’ve ever promised, after all.
- Mayweather-Pacquiao is a bit late in happening, but I don’t care. I’m really excited to see them finally go at it. Floyd is the favorite, and deserves to be, but I think Manny has a real chance at him, which is not something you can say about most Floyd opponents. I’m expecting this one to be pretty tactical, but if Manny can touch Floyd and get some action going…oh man.
- I’m currently reading Haruki Murakami’s The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. It’s great, and it’s the first book I’ve read with extended dream sequences that I can actually get through. I’m having trouble actually finishing it due to time constraints, but I’ve really enjoyed it and I’d love to read more Murakami.
- I’m going to miss the shit out of New York City. I left for my original hometown, but a part of me is always going to be in Manhattan, eating halal street meat and kicking it to some awesome live tunes at Rockwood Music Hall.
- I haven’t been able to watch too many of the most recent boxing matches, but I scored Garcia-Peterson 117-111 for Garcia. That seems to be way off most scores, which had it closer, but I honestly thought Peterson did nothing in the first half of the fight to win rounds. I gave Garcia the first 7 rounds and then thought he nicked the 9th and 10th. I’ll stand by this card. On the same show, I scored Quillin-Lee 114-111 for Kid Chocolate.
- Crazy, and a little sad, to watch Chavez Jr take an ass beating to Fonfara, huh? Chavez was a fun little sideshow for awhile, but he found most of his success fighting guys a couple of weight classes below him. Fonfara was too big of a jump for him in experience and skill, not in weight.
- Freaking Manny Pacquiao is going to fight Floyd Mayweather in like 5 days. It’s actually happening